Here - There and Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here - There and Everywhere

As many of you know I try to post something at least once a month on our forum to stay in touch with members in the Chapter who mean a great deal to me and to also encourage our new members to venture out and become involved within the Chapter and International. There are days when I wonder it the postings mean anything to anyone, and other days I am so very glad that I took the time to do something I truly believe in. This month has been difficult for a lot of us, snow storms upon snow storms (and the one that wasn't!) - budget meetings, committee meetings, personal and professional events and issues, but we always manage to take care of business.

For us here in CT, we are beginning the testing phase of Texting to 9-1-1 and for that it has caused some stress in our PSAP's, for others, it's business as usual and one more phone (or in texting - keypad) to answer. We are joining the ranks of so many other states and PSAP's who already utilize this feature and are awaiting the public education portion to ensure that texting is used appropriately and responsibly.

The 2018 Conference Committee is hard at work preparing for yet another educational and stimulating conference at the Mystic Merritt in Mystic (Groton) CT and as always we are looking to YOU the membership for programming - the Call for Papers is out and we know the talent that is here in the Atlantic Chapter. The exhibit hall is beginning to take shape and some of our vendors have stepped up once again with sponsorship to make the event great for YOU. When you get a minute click on the Conference tab check out the Exhibit hall and Sponsor list.

While you are here on the website, don't forget that at conference we honor those here in the Chapter at the Awards Night (Tuesday) so go to the About Us tab, and click on the Awards nomination link and nominate a Director - Trainer- Team - Supervisor - Telecommunicator and Radio Frequency member for recognition. Anyone nominated and/or selected has their nomination forwarded the following year to International for the 2019 International Awards. There is also the Fall Initiative link right there and below that to the right is the link for the Blesso Scholarship! This Chapter has so much to offer our members, take advantage of it and tell others who could benefit from all that is here.

In a few short days the opportunity to sign up for a committee within APCO International will end, this is yet another opportunity to become involved in activities for YOUR profession, and to make a difference. One day a month for one hour to serve on a committee for a year, if you don't like that particular committee, the next year try another one. For those on committees your time is short to sign up again!! Something else that will come and go quickly will be Flash Day, remember it is on MONDAY - April 2nd (many of us are programmed for April 1st - not this year!!). Those who are using scholarship funds for the 2018 International conference should be signing up on Flash Day for the discounted pricing. If you have questions contact someone on the board quickly as time is running out!!

It's that time, work beckons me to return. For many this week will culminate in Holy days of Passover and Easter, and once again friends and family will come together to celebrate. Let us not forget those who have gone on before us, most recently Alan Armitage. We also remember the young lives lost in the two most recent school shootings. With spring come warmth and rebirth, may you all be warm and flourish in whatever you do.

Until we see each other again - stay safe and train well.
    Maureen

Spectacular write-up Maureen.
    I'd also like to add another way for both members & non-members of the Atlantic Chapter can get involved, is to VOLUNTEER at the 2018 Atlantic Chapter Conference and Exposition this coming October 15-17, 2018. Sign-up for VOLUNTEERS will be available by late spring or early summer. All VOLUNTEERS will be recognized for their contribution in making the conference a true success.
    Also, if by chance anyone has copies of lesson plans from the 2016 & 2017 conferences and willing to share I'd appreciate a copy. Either e-mail or if necessary to mail I'll cover postage. Thanks in advance.
    Lawrence Lafferty
    IrihScorpion32@gmail.com
    Lawrence Lafferty
    Watertown Police Department
    Watertown, CT 06795
    (W) 860-945-5200

Comment

Originally posted by Maureen Will View Post
      Something else that will come and go quickly will be Flash Day, remember it is on MONDAY - April 2nd (many of us are programmed for April 1st - not this year!!). Those who are using scholarship funds for the 2018 International conference should be signing up on Flash Day for the discounted pricing. If you have questions contact someone on the board quickly as time is running out!!
      Thank you Maureen!

Folks, "That Day" has arrived. Today is FLASH DAY, where you can save $100.00 on your registration to attend #APCO2018.

Comment

Working...
      X