Another Chapter Year Closes - Plus a Personal "Ask"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Chapter Year Closes - Plus a Personal "Ask"

October - it brings us the changing of the season, cooling temperatures - beautiful fall foliage and the annual Atlantic Chapter Conference. Alas, this is year is "special" for more than the obvious reasons. For only the second time in our Chapters history, we have had to cancel our annual conference. With that comes some logistical issues such as our Business Meeting and the moving up and changes within the Board. This year, not unlike in the past, our current President, Jonathan Goldman will remain the Chapter President and as such the rest of the Board remains in place as far as elected positions. Continuity will remain the same and this Board will continue to serve you for another year.

Which brigs us to the Business meeting - for the first time we will have a virtual Business Meeting - it will be held on Wednesday October 14th at 1:00 pm Eastern and the link will be found both on PSConnect in the Announcements section of the Chapters forum as well as at the bottom of my message. The entire Board will be virtual and live (you'll get to see our smiling faces and some interesting backgrounds there will be remarks from the Chairs of committees who have posted their annual reports in the forum library for you to review, and they are some pretty interesting readings; you will hear from select board members giving you updates on the health of our Chapter. As with all our Business meetings, this is YOUR time to ask us questions, be involved in the running of the Chapter, let us know your thoughts or concerns and what you would like to see for the future, not just for the Chapter but for you the member of one of the best Public Safety entities I know, APCO International. It is the WE who form the Association and help guide where we are going. The Board wants to hear from you, nothing is off the table, we only ask you are thoughtful in your questions, respectful of all those in attendance, and help us with answers.

We will begin a new Board and Chapter year after President Goldman brings down the gavel and will start anew, but as we move forward, there are many Chapters who are facing devastating loss and hardship and it's not because of COVID-19. Once again Mother Nature gave a direct hit to the Gulf Coast, and for the 5th time, Louisiana was struck by a hurricane. The devastation is gut wrenching, as it was only 6 weeks ago that Lake Charles in Louisiana took a direct hit and it happened again last night. The men and women staffing the consoles have lost their homes and belongings, yet they remain at their posts, keeping the lines of communications open as best they can as TERT teams stand at the ready to respond when they are called. We complain because so many of us were looking forward to conference and seeing our friends, yet for these men and women conference is the last thing on their minds.

So, what can WE do to help? You all know we have the Sunshine Fund through APCO International and when the need is there they respond as they have for us at our Chapter level several times. We in the Atlantic Chapter have over 3,500 members at last count, I know I see the list - so what if each one of our members were to give $20.00 to the Sunshine Fund earmarked for those individuals who have been impacted not just with the hurricanes but also the wildfires which have struck the West Coast? That would be $70,000 THOUSAND dollars in the fund to help those who have lost it all and yet continue to stay "Under the Headset." Each year at conference we raise funds for the Sunshine Fund, and usually I lose a bet to North Carolina for a lobster dinner, (well I did win one year and it was a sweet victory - there is no bet this year, only a plea to you, think about it. I am sending mine out on Tuesday, and I'll kick in a few more dollars that instead of buying my normal allotment of Dunkin coffee, will go to help someone else maybe have a better day. Will you join me - this Chapter has always been known to have a strong voice - compassion, and the willingness to roll up our sleeves and do what has to be done, 20 dollars each can make a difference.

I end this message looking toward the future - a future where once again we will see one another be it in person or virtually, but together as one "The Communications Family". Be safe my friends, be kind to one another and know this "Family" is always there for YOU.

Maureen

A Chapter Business Meeting will be held virtually, on Wednesday October 14, 2020 at 1300 hours. The agenda and all committee reports will be available in the library in the Business Meeting Folder.

Please join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
    https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/320080989

You can also dial in using your phone.
    United States: +1 (872) 240-3212

Access Code: 320-080-989

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/instalhttps://global.gotomeeting.com/join/320080989l/320080989

http://https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/320080989
    Last edited by Maureen Will; 10-11-2020, 02:47 PM.

Good Morning
    1st let me say, though a small turn out, the virtual meeting was excellent.
    2nd my check is in the mail to APCO HQ "Sunshine Fund"
    Lawrence Lafferty
    Watertown Police Department
    Watertown, CT 06795
    (W) 860-945-5200

Comment

Thank you Larry - this Chapter can ALWAYS count on you for support.
      Maureen

Comment

Working...
      X