Loss of a Friend and Mentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of a Friend and Mentor

I am hoping that our members will cut me a little slack here today so that I can post something here about our (my) friend Rich Boettcher. Many of you may know his name or have "heard about him" either by word of mouth or seeing him at conference, but I had the honor and privilege to call him my friend, and he was so much more than that. His love of his family and friends, and of course APCO and this Chapter, was immense, and that is shown by his involvement on both the Chapter and Association level. He worked tirelessly for YOU our members, and what he did he did out of love of Association / love of Chapter - nothing more and nothing less.

His love of our history knows no bounds, and if you ask Dolores (his loving wife and best friend) she will give you the "side eye" and tell you that you can talk AFTER the garage and her dining room has been cleaned out! If it's Atlantic Chapter history - Rich has it or can tell you where it is, and he has shared that history with anyone who would listen, and my friends, it only took a few minutes in his presence to get the "bug." He would tell stories of our early years, of Mr. Blesso and Mr. McNeil - Mr. Thomas and Mr. Armitage to name a few - these are OUR CHAPTERS history makers and could make them come to life, if you would only take the time to listen.

Mr. Boettcher worked with Mr. Catino to make sure that anyone who approached them with questions on how to attain the elusive Senor or Life Designations would fully understand before they left, exactly what they needed to help them get that designation, as you see Rich worked tirelessly to ensure that anyone put the work into getting all that was needed to pass credentials, then he and Tom would their very best to do what they could to help them get that very special designation, and they both take as much pride in seeing you get it as you do. They are the one's who do the work AFTER you have provided the needed and necessary information - and yes, they may call and ask a question or two, but they both labor over this as they know how special it is - a privilege - not a right, as I heard it described recently.

Rich loved to teach us and show us about our history and how WE can do so much if we just have a little faith. The many people that he mentored over the course of the years is amazing - from line dispatchers - police officers - supervisors - Group Leads, and yes even some of our APCO Presidents and members of the Board of Directors! Some of you got your start on the path to leadership because of Rich - you are now part of that history. He never wasted your time and you could never waste his, unless you were in it for personal gain - that he did not like. "We do it for love of the members and love of the Association" he would say, anything else is being selfish, "What we do is not for a resume builder, it's to mold the FUTURE." Those words resound in my head right now as I make my plans for that last visit with Rich.

I had the honor to sit with him for several hours at his beach house a few weeks back, and I will treasure those hours. We talked and laughed and he told me what he expected of me when he was gone. I in turn asked a question I was afraid to, it was about a path, a journey and dream if you will, something I felt the need to do, and so I asked the question, "Do you believe I have what it takes to do what I want to do." Rich sat quietly for a few minutes, and my friends, I thought for the second time (I'll tell you about the 1st time when we are together next) "Well, this isn't going to go well" when he looked at me and said " I believe you have exactly what it takes to do this, and I expect you to do your best to make it happen." Then he reminded me that when I least expect it, I will feel his hand on my shoulder to let me know he is there, and friends, I BELIEVE HE WILL.

I end this posting with a favor to ask - take the time to read about Richard Boettcher, RPL and all the wonderful men and women in this Association and Chapter. Login to the website, don't be a guest, and read our history, become a part of the history, get involved - because when you do, you meet the Rich Boettcher's of this Chapter (and as some have called us "The Dinosaurs"
    and I will wear that pin and name proudly) - talk to us, and let us talk to you, because we are doing what the future needs, mentoring you - guiding you. YOU are the future, I am not the past just yet, as I could be YOUR future, if you will us a chance, just like Rich gave fir so many of us.

So Mr. Boettcher - your work here is done, but don't worry, there are others who WILL carry on for you - with you and in your name, and WE do it for Love of Members and Love of Association. Rest well my friend - we will never forget your lessons. Thank you my friends for cutting me this slack - there are a few of us out there that are hurting now - we will take care of Dolores and the family, just as Rich took care of us.

With respect,
    Maureen

Click image for larger version  Name:	rich.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	1284This picture is how I will remember you. Sitting with you and Dave as you played cribbage and bantered back and forth, and all I can think of is the characters of “Grumpy old men.”

When I first met you, I didn’t know how to read you. You were reserved and quiet; as time went on and I got to know you, I understood your personality, dry and witty. Unbeknownst to you, I had learned a lot from you and your actions. Like another member from our chapter, Jim Blesso, you were reserved and conservative in your thoughts, weighing each one for its validity, truth, and accuracy. I had learned the importance of being as accurate as possible and what the impact would be.

I was always task-driven in my career, hurry and get it done; you taught me the importance of being correct and exactly more than the speed of completion. There were other characteristics I enjoyed about you, along with our conversations.

You should know you gave me comfort when you shared your childhood event after my recent surgeries. Kind is just one word that begins to describe you to everyone else. I will miss our visits and friendship; the chapter will miss so much more.

Go rest high on that mountain, Rich. Your work on earth is done, and someday I will climb that mountain, and we can once again enjoy each other’s company.

Godspeed my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Maureen Will View Post
      I am hoping that our members will cut me a little slack here today so that I can post something here about our (my) friend Rich Boettcher. Many of you may know his name or have "heard about him" either by word of mouth or seeing him at conference, but I had the honor and privilege to call him my friend, and he was so much more than that. His love of his family and friends, and of course APCO and this Chapter, was immense, and that is shown by his involvement on both the Chapter and Association level. He worked tirelessly for YOU our members, and what he did he did out of love of Association / love of Chapter - nothing more and nothing less.

His love of our history knows no bounds, and if you ask Dolores (his loving wife and best friend) she will give you the "side eye" and tell you that you can talk AFTER the garage and her dining room has been cleaned out! If it's Atlantic Chapter history - Rich has it or can tell you where it is, and he has shared that history with anyone who would listen, and my friends, it only took a few minutes in his presence to get the "bug." He would tell stories of our early years, of Mr. Blesso and Mr. McNeil - Mr. Thomas and Mr. Armitage to name a few - these are OUR CHAPTERS history makers and could make them come to life, if you would only take the time to listen.

Mr. Boettcher worked with Mr. Catino to make sure that anyone who approached them with questions on how to attain the elusive Senor or Life Designations would fully understand before they left, exactly what they needed to help them get that designation, as you see Rich worked tirelessly to ensure that anyone put the work into getting all that was needed to pass credentials, then he and Tom would their very best to do what they could to help them get that very special designation, and they both take as much pride in seeing you get it as you do. They are the one's who do the work AFTER you have provided the needed and necessary information - and yes, they may call and ask a question or two, but they both labor over this as they know how special it is - a privilege - not a right, as I heard it described recently.

Rich loved to teach us and show us about our history and how WE can do so much if we just have a little faith. The many people that he mentored over the course of the years is amazing - from line dispatchers - police officers - supervisors - Group Leads, and yes even some of our APCO Presidents and members of the Board of Directors! Some of you got your start on the path to leadership because of Rich - you are now part of that history. He never wasted your time and you could never waste his, unless you were in it for personal gain - that he did not like. "We do it for love of the members and love of the Association" he would say, anything else is being selfish, "What we do is not for a resume builder, it's to mold the FUTURE." Those words resound in my head right now as I make my plans for that last visit with Rich.

I had the honor to sit with him for several hours at his beach house a few weeks back, and I will treasure those hours. We talked and laughed and he told me what he expected of me when he was gone. I in turn asked a question I was afraid to, it was about a path, a journey and dream if you will, something I felt the need to do, and so I asked the question, "Do you believe I have what it takes to do what I want to do." Rich sat quietly for a few minutes, and my friends, I thought for the second time (I'll tell you about the 1st time when we are together next) "Well, this isn't going to go well" when he looked at me and said " I believe you have exactly what it takes to do this, and I expect you to do your best to make it happen." Then he reminded me that when I least expect it, I will feel his hand on my shoulder to let me know he is there, and friends, I BELIEVE HE WILL.

I end this posting with a favor to ask - take the time to read about Richard Boettcher, RPL and all the wonderful men and women in this Association and Chapter. Login to the website, don't be a guest, and read our history, become a part of the history, get involved - because when you do, you meet the Rich Boettcher's of this Chapter (and as some have called us "The Dinosaurs"
      and I will wear that pin and name proudly) - talk to us, and let us talk to you, because we are doing what the future needs, mentoring you - guiding you. YOU are the future, I am not the past just yet, as I could be YOUR future, if you will us a chance, just like Rich gave fir so many of us.

So Mr. Boettcher - your work here is done, but don't worry, there are others who WILL carry on for you - with you and in your name, and WE do it for Love of Members and Love of Association. Rest well my friend - we will never forget your lessons. Thank you my friends for cutting me this slack - there are a few of us out there that are hurting now - we will take care of Dolores and the family, just as Rich took care of us.

With respect,
      Maureen
      Beautifully written, Maureen.

Comment

Working...
      X