End of a Year - Beginning of a New Chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of a Year - Beginning of a New Chapter

I'm sitting at our EOC on a beautiful New Years Eve afternoon, finishing up emails - budget - minutes and of course paying bills. I'm not working really, I'm sitting in another place I call home (I do have a life trust me) I come here to think, to plan and being honest, drinking my coffee knowing NO ONE is going to bother me as I'm here all alone. Now, some of you may think what a sad and strange women she is, why isn't she with family or friends on New Years Eve? Well, it's by choice that I'm here, my daughter is with her dad as she know's I am leaving first thing in the morning to fly to Indiana to give "the talk" on active assailant on Thursday, and then fly home that night to be at work on Friday morning. Katherine doesn't like being in the house by herself and so she goes to her dads where she knows she is safe and with those who love her while mom is away. Now, my kid always makes sure she slips a little something to remind me of her in my suitcase, and I won't peek until I unpack.

So, why am I telling you all this? Well because I'm really glad 2019 is ending, it's been a rough year for so many of us. There has been death - illness - sniping, hurt feelings and disappointments felt by so many. As I look back on the past year, I realize and wonder "Did I contribute to any of that - could I have stopped it?" My head says, " No, nothing you could have done", but my heart says "I don't know". So, I sat here awhile sipping my Dunkin and realized, this year is going to end soon and I can make a difference and be a better friend - manager - mom and mentor in 2020, and it starts NOW.

You see friends, each one of us plays a part in all that happens around us, by DOING something or NOT doing something, we affect change. Every time I pack a "Box of Love" and send a card, I make a difference, even when the tears flow a little when doing it. Every time I do a Lessons Learned I make a difference, even when it takes a piece of me and takes me away from Katherine. Every time I take time out of my schedule to talk with someone about the Chapter or International or other projects I am involved in, I make a difference, even though I may get behind in my work. Anytime I partake in gossip or sniping I make a difference - and not in a good way. I'm human, it happens and I try so hard to not get sucked up into someone else's drama, because you see, I can make a difference and that is what my resolution is for 2020 - to BE the difference and to MAKE the difference.

WE have that opportunity as a Chapter to make a difference in the lives of our staff - our members and our Association, by just DOING something. Volunteer for a committee to meet new people and learn new things (and committee signup is right around the corner). Let the senior members of this Association mentor you to become more involved on the Board, not because it's a resume builder or it makes you THINK you're important - you do it because you can MAKE A DIFFERENCE and you grow yourself and others around you. Talk to those who walked the path of Senior and Life Membership - oh the stories they can tell you, just read about our history (or better yet talk to our historians) you will be amazed and what this Chapter has done, and the people, my goodness the people. Better friends no one can find.

Maybe I'm a little melancholy for the final forum for 2019, but I think I have that right. A box of love is being filled for White Settlement Texas, a PSAP the exact same size as mine, who has experienced what no Center wants, and although it was not the same magnitude as ours, and occurred in a Church not a school, it still breaks your heart. That and another shadow box is being prepared for a NJ PSAP, for their event - our own Chapter isn't spared either. I heard from their Assistant Director, David McNeese who thanked us for our box and said "Dispatchers and 911 operators are the unsung heroes as most people once off the phone only think of the firefighters, police officers and EMS that are now in front of them. It all starts in the communication center first."
    His words ring true and yet so many of our people are forgotten until "IT" happens. So, the boxes and the speaking engagements will continue as long as I have breath in me so that WE are NOT forgotten, and I will start 2020 off right, by thanking my lucky stars for what I have in my life and to continue doing what's right, not because I have to, but because I can.

No more melancholy thoughts Chapter Friends - now is the time to reflect on all the best that we ARE and what we WILL be from this point forward - Be a better friend - Become a mentor - Get involved and most important be happy and love the ones around you. Happy New Year Atlantic Chapter - Lets make 2020 the best that WE can be!!

Love and Respect,
    Maureen

Originally posted by Maureen Will View Post
    I'm sitting at our EOC on a beautiful New Years Eve afternoon, finishing up emails - budget - minutes and of course paying bills. I'm not working really, I'm sitting in another place I call home (I do have a life trust me) I come here to think, to plan and being honest, drinking my coffee knowing NO ONE is going to bother me as I'm here all alone. Now, some of you may think what a sad and strange women she is, why isn't she with family or friends on New Years Eve? Well, it's by choice that I'm here, my daughter is with her dad as she know's I am leaving first thing in the morning to fly to Indiana to give "the talk" on active assailant on Thursday, and then fly home that night to be at work on Friday morning. Katherine doesn't like being in the house by herself and so she goes to her dads where she knows she is safe and with those who love her while mom is away. Now, my kid always makes sure she slips a little something to remind me of her in my suitcase, and I won't peek until I unpack.
    Everyone needs a bit of time to get caught up when all the hustle and bustle has gone away. I love that you share "the talk" to so many so they have at least some understanding of what some of the impacts are. I love that you share this for those who listen. I pray I never experience it.

So, why am I telling you all this? Well because I'm really glad 2019 is ending, it's been a rough year for so many of us. There has been death - illness - sniping, hurt feelings and disappointments felt by so many. As I look back on the past year, I realize and wonder "Did I contribute to any of that - could I have stopped it?" My head says, " No, nothing you could have done", but my heart says "I don't know". So, I sat here awhile sipping my Dunkin and realized, this year is going to end soon and I can make a difference and be a better friend - manager - mom and mentor in 2020, and it starts NOW.
    It has been a rough year for so many in our chapter. I too am looking forward to the new year with so many new opportunities. It's good to reflect on that "man in the mirror". With our everyday interactions, how have we treated each other. We are performing a QAQI on ourselves, and I think that is important to our professional and personal development. We all have bad days, we just need to remember that, and be more understanding.

You see friends, each one of us plays a part in all that happens around us, by DOING something or NOT doing something, we affect change. Every time I pack a "Box of Love" and send a card, I make a difference, even when the tears flow a little when doing it. Every time I do a Lessons Learned I make a difference, even when it takes a piece of me and takes me away from Katherine. Every time I take time out of my schedule to talk with someone about the Chapter or International or other projects I am involved in, I make a difference, even though I may get behind in my work. Anytime I partake in gossip or sniping I make a difference - and not in a good way. I'm human, it happens and I try so hard to not get sucked up into someone else's drama, because you see, I can make a difference and that is what my resolution is for 2020 - to BE the difference and to MAKE the difference.
    Serendipity. I always think of George Bailey in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". Check this post out https://www.facebook.com/GuardiaMike...19390964967278

WE have that opportunity as a Chapter to make a difference in the lives of our staff - our members and our Association, by just DOING something. Volunteer for a committee to meet new people and learn new things (and committee signup is right around the corner). Let the senior members of this Association mentor you to become more involved on the Board, not because it's a resume builder or it makes you THINK you're important - you do it because you can MAKE A DIFFERENCE and you grow yourself and others around you. Talk to those who walked the path of Senior and Life Membership - oh the stories they can tell you, just read about our history (or better yet talk to our historians) you will be amazed and what this Chapter has done, and the people, my goodness the people. Better friends no one can find.
    Everyone makes a difference in an organization. It takes village to raise a child, and that child evolves as they grows. The same is needed for any organization.

Maybe I'm a little melancholy for the final forum for 2019, but I think I have that right. A box of love is being filled for White Settlement Texas, a PSAP the exact same size as mine, who has experienced what no Center wants, and although it was not the same magnitude as ours, and occurred in a Church not a school, it still breaks your heart. That and another shadow box is being prepared for a NJ PSAP, for their event - our own Chapter isn't spared either. I heard from their Assistant Director, David McNeese who thanked us for our box and said "Dispatchers and 911 operators are the unsung heroes as most people once off the phone only think of the firefighters, police officers and EMS that are now in front of them. It all starts in the communication center first."
    His words ring true and yet so many of our people are forgotten until "IT" happens. So, the boxes and the speaking engagements will continue as long as I have breath in me so that WE are NOT forgotten, and I will start 2020 off right, by thanking my lucky stars for what I have in my life and to continue doing what's right, not because I have to, but because I can.
    The holidays makes me melancholy as well, thinking about family members that have past, and the nurturing I got from them, all of which made me the person I am today.

We are in a very intimate position as communicators. What we say and don't say, how we say it, the questions we ask. All of our training and wisdom has a direct impact on the outcome of an incident, how it affects the first responders, and the community.

I love that passion that is inside of you. You and your staff had to go through hell so that we can benefit from what you experienced.

No more melancholy thoughts Chapter Friends - now is the time to reflect on all the best that we ARE and what we WILL be from this point forward - Be a better friend - Become a mentor - Get involved and most important be happy and love the ones around you. Happy New Year Atlantic Chapter - Lets make 2020 the best that WE can be!!
    Amen!

Godspeed my friend(s).

Comment

• Maureen Will
      Maureen Will commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow - I've never seen anyone do something like this on a post and it's beautiful. Thank you Craig - your thoughts and words give validation. Happy New Year my friend!
      Maureen

Great thoughts Maureen. Well said. Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year.

Comment

Working...
    X